Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Eat Nuts, Don't Elect Them

January 9, 2008

Dear Hearts and Gentle People,
I am told that my last essay (see previous entry) has caused Discussion among people who have read it. I guess that’s what I’m here for – to get people thinking and talking, as well as laughing.
I guess. I don’t know. I just write this stuff.
It has been a snowy, stormy time here in the Northwest, and on the west coast of the USA in general – rain, wind, snow, thunder and lightning. A real winter. The effect of La NiƱa, I’ve heard. I’m not sure what you in the Midwest and east are told to blame for your weather, which has not been a picnic, either.
2008 is an election year and the madness is on, as I’m sure you all know. I saw Mike Huckabee on the David Letterman show the other night. He was charming, and funny, and said all the right things we want to hear.
Back when I was dating men, I learned that charming, funny men who said what you wanted to hear were the ones to run away from as soon as possible, because on closer acquaintance they turned out to be anything but charming and funny, and anyone who tells you what you want to hear has a plan for you that you don’t want to experience. This was a hard lesson for me, but I think I eventually learned it.
I saw Richard Nixon on the Johnny Carson show back in 1968. He was also funny and charming and said what we wanted to hear. He came across as a great guy. I liked him. I was too young to have the perspective of his track record for the previous two decades, and that one appearance made me think, oh, he’s a good guy. I like him.
And he was elected President and brought the country peace, prosperity, contentment, and integrity.
I’m joking. He was elected President and he was a brilliant, tragically flawed person who thought he was above behaving legally, or with integrity. His hubris eventually brought him down. A tragedy for him, and for all of us, and we live with the fallout still.
So I don’t think I’ll buy Mike Huckabee’s folksy bite on David Letterman. He has the smile of a demented Kevin Spacey, and appears to wear contacts that make his eyes look big and dewy, and he says what you want to hear. Hmm. Does anyone want to know any more about him before handing over the country to him?
And I don’t mean to pick on Huckabee. I don’t trust any of ‘em at this point, of any party. I wonder who the vegetarians are running this year. I think, “Eat more nuts, don’t elect them” might be a good campaign slogan.
Yeah, I’m pretty cynical about politics at this point.
In spite of that, I wish you all the best year possible –
Blessings & love & hugs & grace & peace
Mary

No comments: